Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have dividends from Treasury Inflation Protected securities. This is taxable at federal level but exempt at state level. How can I enter this in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RaifH
Expert Alumni

I have dividends from Treasury Inflation Protected securities. This is taxable at federal level but exempt at state level. How can I enter this in TurboTax?

To enter dividends from these securities:

1. Go to the Federal > Wages & Income > Interest and Dividends > Dividends on 1099-DIV section of your return.
  2. You may enter the 1099-DIV as it appears.
  3. After entering it, in the Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply to you select A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest
  4. Enter the amount

You will not be taxed on the TIPS dividends by your state. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RaifH
Expert Alumni

To enter dividends from these securities:

1. Go to the Federal > Wages & Income > Interest and Dividends > Dividends on 1099-DIV section of your return.
  2. You may enter the 1099-DIV as it appears.
  3. After entering it, in the Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply to you select A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest
  4. Enter the amount

You will not be taxed on the TIPS dividends by your state. 

IF you are holding TIPS yourself....the interest should be reported to you, and also in the tax software as box 3 $$ on a 1099-INT. 

Those $$ are then automatically excluded from State income by the software.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies