Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Coach209
Returning Member

I have CD/download version. Every time I try e-file, an update is required and then I get “Microsoft Installer Failure” message. So, I cannot e-file. Can anyone help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

I have CD/download version. Every time I try e-file, an update is required and then I get “Microsoft Installer Failure” message. So, I cannot e-file. Can anyone help?

You may need to update your software manually. Here's an article to help you with a manual update. 

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business) 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Coach209
Returning Member

Another, different subject, question. In running SmartCheck, I get the following message: "Sale includes a disallowed wash sale (code W)." the amount shown is $0, and the message at top of screen says this is for a sale of 0.84 shares of Coke and the disallowed market discount should not be $0. Top message also notes: enter amount disallowed under wash sale rules or leave blank if entire loss is disallowed." Then, "Disallowed wash sale amount 0."

I did not have any wash sales as far as I know. I did not even purchase any individual stocks last year!  Also, and more disconcerting, I cannot even change or replace the "0" that is shown as the error!

Any ideas?

Thankyou!. 

in the windows desktop version, Turbotax changed how security trades are entered and report in the app. maybe the same applies to online versions that can handle security sales.  the following is for transactions imported. In prior years there were only the 1099-B wks. they could be edited. this year there are the same wks and just below each of them is a separate security transaction listing. this allows more flexibility to make certain adjustments. all amounts are rounded to whole $'s. however, any info on them that comes from the 1099-B wks can not be edited. it's the 1099-B that generates these listings.  you have to find the transaction in the 1099-B wks. you may need to use the scroll bar on the right to get to that transaction. Many users have reported this problem so I don't know if it's unique to 1 or 2 brokers which would likely mean the issue is at their end or many brokers which means it's a TurboTax bug. 

Coach209
Returning Member

In 2016 I contributed $6,500 to my Roth IRA. HOWEVER, our income for 2016 was too high; so, in early 2017, I worked with Fidelity to recharacterize the original contribution plus earnings to a traditional IRA. This original amount plus earning was $6,954. So, I now have $6,954 of after-tax dollars in my traditional IRA, along with a substantial amount of pre-tax dollars.

In 2020 I did a Roth IRA conversion from my traditional IRA of $5,000. Since I now have some non-deductible or after-tax money in my traditional IRA, because of the recharacterization above, the pro rata rule applies for determining the taxable amount of the $5,000 (I presume!).

I input this $6,954 to Turbotax and got the following message on a screen entitled, "Attach an Explanation.", "The IRA basis we transferred from 2019 is different from the basis entered. Include a brief explanation of why James' basis changed with your return." I did input an explanation into the next screen by clicking the "Prepare an Explanation" link. I then completed the information on my total traditional IRA balance in the next screen.

Is this acceptable to file? Or, do I have to go back to prior years and correct the after-tax, or non-deductible amount given? (I hope not!)  Have I missed anything else or am I wrong in some of my assumptions?   The effect of this after-tax money on our tax return is quite small, by the way.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies