Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

g12196
Returning Member

I have business startup cost plus franchise fees ($75K) in 2018, but no income. What form do I use? Turbo Tax says I need to pay $119 for TT Self Employed, do I need this

I tried entering the expenses in Schedule C, but I don't even know if that's correct place to enter them?  Turbo Tax S/W wouldn't let me enter expenses unless I upgrade to TT Self Employed, for $119, is there anyway around this? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I have business startup cost plus franchise fees ($75K) in 2018, but no income. What form do I use? Turbo Tax says I need to pay $119 for TT Self Employed, do I need this

Let's start by saving you some money this year. You do not need TurboTax Self-Employed for your 2018 tax year. Next year, you will need either TurboTax Self-Employed or Home & Business (download for Windows or Mac) if your business is either a sole proprietorship or a single-member LLC that is a disregarded entity for tax purposes, that is, filing on Schedule C. If your business is organized in any other way -- C Corp, S Corp, partnership. multi-member LLC -- you will need TurboTax Business, a Windows-only CD/download product, to complete the correct tax returns.

That said, you have nothing to report for 2018. You can claim your business expenses, but not on your 2018 tax return. The general rule is that business startup expenses are deductible in the year when active trade or business begins. Since you had no income-generating events in 2018, your startup expenses will become deductible in 2019, when your new business begins to generate revenue. Please see IRS Pub. 535 Business Expenses for more information.

Also, you must distinguish between startup expenses (licenses, permits, legal fees, pre-opening advertising, etc.) and the amount spent on business assets (machines, equipment, vehicles, etc.). These assets are depreciable over their useful life, although in many cases can be expensed in the first year put in service under Section 179 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Note: The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 increased the annual dollar limit on Section 179 deductions. For tax years beginning in 2018, the maximum section 179 expense deduction is $1,000,000. This limit is reduced by the amount by which the cost of section 179 property placed in service during the tax year exceeds $2,500,000.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MichaelMc

Let's start by saving you some money this year. You do not need TurboTax Self-Employed for your 2018 tax year. Next year, you will need either TurboTax Self-Employed or Home & Business (download for Windows or Mac) if your business is either a sole proprietorship or a single-member LLC that is a disregarded entity for tax purposes, that is, filing on Schedule C. If your business is organized in any other way -- C Corp, S Corp, partnership. multi-member LLC -- you will need TurboTax Business, a Windows-only CD/download product, to complete the correct tax returns.

That said, you have nothing to report for 2018. You can claim your business expenses, but not on your 2018 tax return. The general rule is that business startup expenses are deductible in the year when active trade or business begins. Since you had no income-generating events in 2018, your startup expenses will become deductible in 2019, when your new business begins to generate revenue. Please see IRS Pub. 535 Business Expenses for more information.

Also, you must distinguish between startup expenses (licenses, permits, legal fees, pre-opening advertising, etc.) and the amount spent on business assets (machines, equipment, vehicles, etc.). These assets are depreciable over their useful life, although in many cases can be expensed in the first year put in service under Section 179 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Note: The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 increased the annual dollar limit on Section 179 deductions. For tax years beginning in 2018, the maximum section 179 expense deduction is $1,000,000. This limit is reduced by the amount by which the cost of section 179 property placed in service during the tax year exceeds $2,500,000.

Is he not allowed to deduct $5k for that first year, even though he didnt have income or am I misunderstanding that rule?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies