• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lianahq

I have been unemployed since last March (2020). I have not taken Unemployment though. How do I describe this situation when I file the W2 I got?

Got a W2 from a place I worked from November 2019 - March 2020.  I worked at two other places for less than three weeks in October 2019 but have not gotten W2's from them.  I did not accept any Unemployment or help from CARES while being unemployed.  How do I describe this situation in my forms?  What should I expect when I file this year?
3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I have been unemployed since last March (2020). I have not taken Unemployment though. How do I describe this situation when I file the W2 I got?

You don't have to explain that you did not get unemployment benefits. You're not required to accept unemployment benefits.

As for 2019, you may need to file a tax return if you are required to file.  If you haven't gotten W-2's from the other two jobs, you could get an IRS transcript which shows all the W-2's that employers sent you. . You could use copies of those to file,

Contact your previous employers and request copies of your W-2s. If you can't get them, you'll be able to create substitute W-2's.

If you got paid with cash or checks or were self-employed, enter the income earned. See How do I report income from self-employment?

For 2020, you may need to file a tax return if you are required to file. See Do I need to file a federal return this year?

If you are not required to file a tax return but want to receive the stimulus payments, you'll need to file a tax return. See How do I claim the Recovery Rebate Credit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lianahq

As for 2019, you may need to file a tax return if you are required to file.

This is a thing I want to clarify.  Would I still need to request the W2's from them even though I did not work for them in 2020?

If you haven't gotten W-2's from the other two jobs, you could get an IRS transcript which shows all the W-2's that employers sent you. . You could use copies of those to file,

I'm not totally sure what you mean by this.  Do you mean look for the wages I was paid when I got my W4 from them and present them when I file this year?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Any W-2s or tax reporting documents that show 2019 will be filed on a 2019 individual income tax return, not the 2020 individual income tax return.

The wages you earned while working in 2020 should be reported on a 2020 Form W-2 to be included in your 2020 individual income tax return along with any other income received during 2020..

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v