llafet

I have been paying on an installment plan with the IRS. How do I apply that when I file?

If you are paying an installment plan for past taxes, that has nothing to do with the amount of tax you owe or refund you get on a current tax return.  However, if you are due a refund for a current return, it will automatically be taken and used to reduce the debt you have been paying in installments.  It does not reduce the amount of each installment due, but will reduce the total number of payments and the length of time you have to pay.

Or, if I misunderstood your question, please give additional details.
llafet

It's an installment plan for owed 2017 taxes. I have a filing extension and a payment plan. I am ready to complete the filing and pay the rest of the owed amount.

I was not aware you could get a payment plan when filing an extension, since the final tax due was not yet determined.  Assuming that is what you did, then your payment plan notice should have information on how to make additional payments.

Failing that, you would file your tax return and pay the amount owed.  The IRS might make one extra monthly auto withdrawal before they catch up, but they will eventually return it to you.  The IRS will also adjust the final amount owed for interest and late fees.

Federal taxes paid are not claimed on your current Federal tax return.

Some states allow this on the state return....but only the taxes paid, not any penalties or interest,

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (or payments after that)  (Federal, State, Local) -

·        Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)

·        Click on Deductions and Credits

·        Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)

·        Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

·        On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

The federal extension payment will be shown on Form 1040 Line 70

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to federal extension payment

Add all the payments together  and enter just  one amount for the extension payment.