tim-binkowski

I have a W2-G from a casino in NC. I live in AL. I have losses greater than the reported Gross Winnings. There is nothing in boxes 14-18. Is a NC state return required?

AnnetteB

As a non-resident of NC, you are required to file a NC return if the following is true: 

Nonresidents.

If you were not a resident of North Carolina at any time during tax year 2018 but you received income in 2018 from North Carolina sources that was (1) attributable to the ownership of any interest in real or tangible personal property in North Carolina, (2) derived from a business, trade, profession, or occupation carried on in North Carolina, or (3) derived from gambling activities in North Carolina, and your total gross income from all sources both inside and outside of North Carolina equals or exceeds the amount in the Filing Requirements Chart on Page 6 for your filing status, you must file a 2018 North Carolina individual income tax return.

The excerpt above is from the NC Income Tax instruction booklet.  Click the thumbnail picture below to see the Filing Requirements Chart and note that the chart is based on your Federal gross income, not your NC gross income.