Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a shared responsibility from 2018 I also filled for bankruptcy in 2018 I recently found out bankruptcy may qualify for a exemption is to late to qualify ?

Can I still apply for the hardship exemption for 2018 and what do I need to do
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I have a shared responsibility from 2018 I also filled for bankruptcy in 2018 I recently found out bankruptcy may qualify for a exemption is to late to qualify ?

It is too late to work an amendment to get any amounts refunded, but you may be able to get future payments eliminated/reduced.  You or your representative may need to contact the Marketplace.gov customer service to get an approved exemption.  They may provide you an Exemption Control Number.  A hardship exemption is for the month prior to the hardship, the months in the hardship, and the month after the hardship. The Marketplace reps should help you figure all that out.  With an approved exemption you or your representative may be able to contact the IRS to help going forward.   

Here is a link with more details on the hardship exemption for 2018 and before.  

Here is a contact number (800-318-2596) and there is also a "connect with us" section near the bottom of the linked page with contact information for assistance.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

For taxes?  Taxes are not able to be discharged in bankruptcy. 

It's too late to reopen a 2018 tax return.  If you owe taxes, and you think there are factors that should mitigate what you owe, you need to contact the IRS directly, and you probably need to hire a tax professional to represent you. 

It's not taxes it's a shared responsibility penalty for not having Obama care in 2018 .I saw that bankruptcy was a qualifying exemption from the shared responsibility for not having health care in that Year.So I was wondering was it to late to amend my return and claim the exception for that year , since I'm still having to pay it.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

It is too late to work an amendment to get any amounts refunded, but you may be able to get future payments eliminated/reduced.  You or your representative may need to contact the Marketplace.gov customer service to get an approved exemption.  They may provide you an Exemption Control Number.  A hardship exemption is for the month prior to the hardship, the months in the hardship, and the month after the hardship. The Marketplace reps should help you figure all that out.  With an approved exemption you or your representative may be able to contact the IRS to help going forward.   

Here is a link with more details on the hardship exemption for 2018 and before.  

Here is a contact number (800-318-2596) and there is also a "connect with us" section near the bottom of the linked page with contact information for assistance.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies