Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbw4122

I have a savings account in Spain, but all the money entered is from my U.S. Bank. Does only interest income have to be declared?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I have a savings account in Spain, but all the money entered is from my U.S. Bank. Does only interest income have to be declared?

You don't need to report a foreign bank account if the balance never exceeded $10,000 in 2015. (I'm assuming that is the only account you have... the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts must not exceed $10,000 at any time during the calendar year).

You do need to report the interest earned on the account balance.  In Turbo Tax, report the interest "as if" you have received form 1099-INT. Just enter the bank's name and the amount of interest earned in box 1 (always in U.S. dollars).

1.  Federal Taxes

2. Wages & Income

3. Interest & Dividends

4. Interest on 1099-INT

You should still complete the foreign account inter view in TurboTax.  See  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300501

If the balance of the account exceeded $10,000  at any one time and you were a "U.S. person", then you are required to report it on FinCEN Report 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts.

United States person includes U.S. citizens; U.S. residents; entities, including but not limited to, corporations, partnerships, or limited liability companies, created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States; and trusts or estates formed under the laws of the United States.

FinCEN Report 114 supersedes the previous years’ form TD F 90-22.1 and is only available online through the BSA E-Filing System.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

You don't need to report a foreign bank account if the balance never exceeded $10,000 in 2015. (I'm assuming that is the only account you have... the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts must not exceed $10,000 at any time during the calendar year).

You do need to report the interest earned on the account balance.  In Turbo Tax, report the interest "as if" you have received form 1099-INT. Just enter the bank's name and the amount of interest earned in box 1 (always in U.S. dollars).

1.  Federal Taxes

2. Wages & Income

3. Interest & Dividends

4. Interest on 1099-INT

You should still complete the foreign account inter view in TurboTax.  See  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300501

If the balance of the account exceeded $10,000  at any one time and you were a "U.S. person", then you are required to report it on FinCEN Report 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts.

United States person includes U.S. citizens; U.S. residents; entities, including but not limited to, corporations, partnerships, or limited liability companies, created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States; and trusts or estates formed under the laws of the United States.

FinCEN Report 114 supersedes the previous years’ form TD F 90-22.1 and is only available online through the BSA E-Filing System.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies