turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a college savings plan (Tomorrow's Scholar). Is a car considered a qualified expense for college?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have a college savings plan (Tomorrow's Scholar). Is a car considered a qualified expense for college?

Sorry, no.  A personal vehicle is not a qualified education expense.  Nor is travel associated with education a deduction or a qualified education expense.

A percentage of the money in the college savings plan has been taxed.  If I withdraw money for a non-qualified expense, 

A perecentage of the money in my college savings plan was taxed when placed in the account.  If I withdrawl money for a non-qualified expense, do I have to pay tax again on that money?

SoCalGal22
Employee Tax Expert

Thank you for asking this question about 529 qualified expenses and penalties.

yes there are penalties for taking out money from these accounts for non-qualified expenses.  And many people don't realize that they can over withdraw until they combine scholarship payments and 529 account withdrawals on the Education Credit.  There's a lot on information explained here 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/college-and-education/information-on-529-plans/L0vrZiFuC

I hope this answers your question about 529 account qualified expenses and penalties. 

have a great day!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies