Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 1099-misc with 7 filled out but turbo tax 7 is N/A, with no box and I have no idea where to put my compensation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I have a 1099-misc with 7 filled out but turbo tax 7 is N/A, with no box and I have no idea where to put my compensation?

There are no amounts listed in Box 7 for 2020 1099-MISC forms. For 2020, nonemployee compensation on the prior year Form 1099-MISC is now reported on Form 1099-NEC. If you have a 1099-MISC with Box 7, please confirm the year of the form at the top right of the page. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
briggsr
Returning Member

Sounds like someone gave you the wrong form if you actually got a 1099-Misc.  If you received a 2020 1099-MIsc box 7 would state: Payer made direct sales of $5,000 or more of consumer products to a buyer
(recipient) for resale and it will have a little check box.  If you received a 1099-Misc from a previous year, such as 2019 or 2018 etc, then box 7 would have the words non-employee compensation and the amount you received.   It would be wrong if you received that for 2020 income.  As of 2020 The new forms to report  contractors payments, (people who are not employees but perform some sort of service that they get paid for) should now be reported in a 1099-NEC which is a new form.  So, the person who contracted with you (where you provided some sort of service too) gave you the wrong form.  On the other hand, if they did give you the new 1099-NEC form and you are trying to enter the amounts in turbo tax in a 1099-Misc form then you can't do that.    You must enter into a 1099-NEC form in Turbo Tax.   You will need to let whomever gave you a 2019 or earlier 1099-Misc form that had 2020 income reported on it,  that the form is no longer allowed and that a 1099-NEC was supposed to be issued.  Then you must enter the new 1099-NEC that they give you in Turbo Tax.  Your amount on the new 1099-NEC should be in box 1.   Look at your form and look at the year on the form and if it is anything other than 2020, then it is wrong, unless they are reporting gross proceeds to an attorney or possibley Section 409A deferrals, or maybe nonqualified deferred compensation income that you received.  If it is non-employee income then it should have been reported on the new 2020 1099-NEC form.  That person who issued it will have to have the 1099-Misc voided, which by the way is a process as it was reported to the Social Security Admin and possibly to the State.  The Social Security Admin is in conjunction with the IRS so they would have it on file as well.  They also may have to correct the 1096 which is a summary form.  If you don't have the form corrected, the IRS will assume you received the income.  If they don't correct it or don't correct it properly call the IRS and the state.  I think I would call them anyways just to make sure they have the correction. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies