turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 1099 Misc from "UAW-FCA-Ford-General Motors Legal Services Plan." It is considered a taxable fringe benefit not self employment. In a loop I can't resolve.

I do not need a Schedule C, but I can't get through the review it loops back
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I have a 1099 Misc from "UAW-FCA-Ford-General Motors Legal Services Plan." It is considered a taxable fringe benefit not self employment. In a loop I can't resolve.

If you receive a form 1099-MISC for a legal service plan, then you are not considered as self-employed and do not need to file a Schedule C.

In TurboTax, enter your form 1099-MISC and follow the interview until you arrive at the page titled Did this involve an intent to earn money?. Answer that this did not involve an intent to earn money. The amount will be reported as Miscellaneous income and will not be subject to Self-employment tax.

In TurboTax, there is a work-around. Although you may receive this income every year, say that you only receive the 1099-MISC only in 2020, not in previous years and not in 2021, you will then have the screen where you can say that it did not involve an intent to earn money.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PT78

We received a 1099 Misc for a legal service plan from General Motors.  It is a fringe benefit and not something we work for.  I have entered it into Other but TurboTax wants to put it in Schedule C as a business self-employed income.  It does not apply to Schedule C nor 1099 NEC.  I have erased it from the business income but TurboTax just takes it back.  Someone said I would get an option that it is not an intent to earn money.  I don't get that either.  I can get my return to the "lets check for errors" at the end of the Federal return but it pops up that there are questions to be resolved for the 1099 Misc.  Round and around.  Help.

PT78

It never get to the any questions.  I keep seeing this as an answer but nothing pops up on mine.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

These instructions should work for you.

Delete the 1099-MISC that you have entered.

You can enter the 1099-MISC in TurboTax as "Other Common Income," which is reported on line 8 of 1040 Schedule 1 and will not generate Schedule C or SE tax.  Please use the following steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income.
  2. Scroll down to the Other Common Income section. 
  3. Click on the Start/Revisit box next Form 1099-MISC. 
  4. On the screen Did you get a 1099-MISC?  click on the Yes button.
  5. On the next screen, Let's get the info from your 1099-MISC, enter the information from the 1099-MISC.
  6. On the following screens, answer the following questions:
    • Did it involve work that's like your main job? No.
    • You got it in 2019
    • No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money

7.  Continue through the rest of the interview screens. The income will appear as Other Income.

JKT-1

I'm using the 2021 premier version and none of the work arounds described work.  Once in the Federal Review section I'm forced into correcting fields on Schedule C.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps to enter your taxable fringe benefit from UAW-FCA-Ford-general Motors Legal Services Plan not subject to self-employment.

1. Log into your TurboTax account if it is not open.
  2. Click on the Wages & income tab.
  3. On the screen, Your income, scroll down to Less Common Income.
  4. Click the Start or Update button on the line  Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  5. On the screen, Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income, scroll down to Other reportable income and click Start or Update 
  6. On the page, Did you receive any other taxable income? Click Yes.
  7. On the next page, Other Taxable Income, enter a description (1099-MISC UAW Fringe Benefit) and the amount. Click Continue.
  8. On the next screen click Done.

The income will be reported on Schedule 1 line 8 with the description that you entered.

gjfrnl

Thanks this worked.

I'm having trouble getting past this.

It does not necessarily have to reported as self employment income. Follow these steps in Turbotax.

On the top, click on Wages and Income

then; next screen How do you want to enter your income

then; next screen  1099MISC and Other Common Income, select Income from 1099-MISC

Include the amount you received in Box 3- Other Income

DONT check  received in previous years or that you expect to receive it next year. only current year, then the screen with no intent to earn will appear. click on no intent to earn and carry on. 

MBel
Level 1

I'm having the same problem. Turbo Tax doesn't seem to know how to process this fringe benefit.

MBel
Level 1

It's finally processed.

MBel
Level 1

Select you only received the amount in the current tax year, then it works.  Thank you

MBel
Level 1

ok

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies