turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had to put 0 when I filed for an extension because I don't have all my w2s so when it asks how much I owe in taxes, I didn't know what to put! Will the IRS still grant?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

I had to put 0 when I filed for an extension because I don't have all my w2s so when it asks how much I owe in taxes, I didn't know what to put! Will the IRS still grant?

Yes, it's an automatic extension to file your return. It's not an extension to pay tax, so those lines are there to help you through the process of figuring out what you should pay. There's only penalties and interest if you don't pay in by the 18th. If you only had W-2 income and usually don't owe money, you should be ok, but get it filed asap!

You can look at your pay stubs near the end of the year and they have a year-to-date total on them of your income and withholding. You can enter this info into TurboTax and see what your federal estimated tax comes out to. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

Yes, it's an automatic extension to file your return. It's not an extension to pay tax, so those lines are there to help you through the process of figuring out what you should pay. There's only penalties and interest if you don't pay in by the 18th. If you only had W-2 income and usually don't owe money, you should be ok, but get it filed asap!

You can look at your pay stubs near the end of the year and they have a year-to-date total on them of your income and withholding. You can enter this info into TurboTax and see what your federal estimated tax comes out to. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies