Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had a tax block put on our child so no one else can claim her im curious if that can be taken off because i now need to claim her instead of her dad who claimed her??

so i had a tax block put on our daughter when her father claimed her i now need to claim her because my mother claimed me, we got into a vicious fight when she kidnapped my daughter and tried to get custody, we claimed our taxes first and my mother claimed after and claimed me and now we got a letter from the irs saying my hubby owes 1,597+++ because someone else claimed me also which was my mother i dont see how she could have even claimed me because we claimed first unless she got her taxes done through mail? but anyway i would get more money by me claiming instead of him so does anyomne know if you can get the tax block taken off its where u block the ss card from being used on anyone but the person who got the block?? please help

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I had a tax block put on our child so no one else can claim her im curious if that can be taken off because i now need to claim her instead of her dad who claimed her??

There is no such thing as a "tax block" ... what you may have gotten is an IP PIN request for the child and those are mailed out in January from the IRS.  Only the person that has the number on their tax return is allowed to claim the child.
Hal_Al
Level 15

There is no such thing as a "Tax block" under the IRS rules. You may have a court order, but the IRS doesn't go by those.
You just file your return, claiming what you are entitled to. Now that you have a letter from the IRS, you provide the information they have requested to prove you are entitled to claim yourself and your child. You mother, most likely, got a similar letter from the IRS.
Usually, If someone else claimed your child inappropriately, the IRS will process your return and send you your refund, in the normal time. Shortly (up to a year) thereafter, you'll receive a letter from the IRS, stating that your child was claimed on another return. It will tell you that if you made a mistake to file an amended return and if you didn't make a mistake to do nothing. The other party will get the same letter you did. If one of you doesn't file an amended return, unclaiming the child, the next letter, from the IRS, will require you to provide proof. Be sure to reply in a timely manner.

i just know the woman told us thats what it called she works at h&r block but im pretty sure thats what she called it maybe to make us better understand but i cant find anything on the internet about it so that would make sense. thanks.

also my mother claimed me on her taxes not the baby they sent us a letter saying my hubby owes so much i was in my mothers apartment living but my hubby supported me my mother didnt live there not once and didnt support me do you think with all that that he would have to pay that back because to me she was ripping off the government we paidf for electric but it was in her name, sounds like were just screwed.

If you are married and filing a joint return with your husband then mom cannot claim you... just file your return correctly and don't worry about mom ... that is her problem not yours. Seek local tax prep assistance to get this mess cleared up.
Hal_Al
Level 15

It's not clear what the IRS letter is about. Are they questioning him claiming the child or claiming you. Technically, a spouse can't claim a spouse as a dependent. But, he can file a joint return with his spouse, which is effectively the same thing as claiming her as a dependent plus the other tax benefits of a joint return. It doesn't matter who supported you or where you lived. A husband is allowed to file a joint return with his wife, if she agrees. Period.
If H& R Block prepared his return, he can take the letter to them and they will help with the response to the IRS.

thank you, big help(:
Carl
Level 15

This is a legal question and you need to seek legal advice from a tax attorney licensed in your local jurisdiction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies