Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I graduated in May of 2023 so I didn't have all 4 year credits before the tax year. Should I answer yes or no to this question?

This is the exact question: Had you earned four years of college credit before 2023? This usually means you had a bachelor's degree before 2023.

My immediate answer is no because I graduated in May of 2023 but then it says I am still enrolled as a student. Not sure what to do.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I graduated in May of 2023 so I didn't have all 4 year credits before the tax year. Should I answer yes or no to this question?

No.

No is the correct answer.

And that is correct, for 2023 you were a student even when you graduated in May. 

This means that if the other requirements are met, you could be eligible for the American Opportunity Tax Credit, because you did not finish the first four years of the degree before tax year 2023.

If someone else supplied more than half your support, and you were under 24 all of 2023, you could be claimed as a dependent since you are considered a student for 2023 (at least part of at least 5 months). 

(this does not mean you are a dependent, only that you would fulfill the requirement of being  a student) 

I should also add that if you went on to grad school, those education expenses can be added to the undergrad expenses for a credit, you DO NOT need to separate them for 2023 because you were still an undergrad before 2023 started. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies