turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got married and also got a job, but kept my w4 as single. Do I need to update?

My husband and I married on March 2021 and filed jointly, although he didn't have a job and was not living in the US until October 2021. I recently changed job and making more and we are expecting my husband to start working before the end of the year. My current W4 status is single, do I need to change and when my husband starts working, does he has to file as single?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

I got married and also got a job, but kept my w4 as single. Do I need to update?

Hello YolBM!

Yes, we should change your W-4 to your new tax filing status of MFJ/MFS. That will be done in Step 1 of the W-4 form. The best filing status is MFJ. It has more tax benefits than the single status. Therefore, I would recommend you file a joint return as a couple.

Here is our free tax estimator/calculator : https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/ 

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using TurboTax Live!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What you claim at work on the W4 doesn't have to match your actual tax return filing status. It's just to tell your employer how much to take out. You will get credit for all the withholding on your tax return.  I'm married but claimed Single on the W4 to have more taxes taken out.  

He can fill out the W4 how he wants.  But on your tax return at the end of the year you file either as Married Joint or you each file Married filing Separately.  Joint is the best way to file.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies