turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

user2903

I forgot to change my address on Betterment when I moved and now my 1099b/DIV are inaccurate

I moved states in 2021 and I forgot to change my address on Betterment somehow. My 1099 B/DIV still say my old address and i'm really not sure what to do about that or where even to start fixing this. I already called betterment and they said that they can't do anything and that I should contact a tax advisor but they didn't say what to ask or give me any guidance. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I forgot to change my address on Betterment when I moved and now my 1099b/DIV are inaccurate

The address doesn't matter.  Is it preventing you from entering the 1099?  

jye25

Dear Turbo Tax User,

The IRS and your State go by your Social Security Number and by the address on your income tax returns. So don't worry about that part. Make certain that Betterment has corrected your address so that next year's 1099 won't send you in orbit of being afraid. Just make sure the address you fill in on your income tax returns is correct and you are good to go. Enjoy your day. 

Sincerely, jye25.

user2903

This is the line that makes me nervous:

"The amount of in-state income included in Box 12 of your 1099-DIV is $XXX based on your resident state of CA. Your resident state also includes income from U.S. territories"

This is from the supplemental tax form and seems to be specific to my state? 

The "Supplemental" information does not get filed with the IRS or State.

It is there to help you, potentially, reduce your state taxes....for the state shown....but you were apparently in a different state in 2022, so the CA information is useless to you.

IF you cannot find sub$$-amount of box 12, which was issued by your proper resident state's bonds, you will just enter your 1099-DIV as it is, and there is a follow-up page after the main 1099-DIV form (in the software) that asks what state the box 12 $$ came from....and you go to the end of the list of states and just select "Multiple States"  (or for desktop software, it has  "More than one state" as the equivalent selection)

_________

When you file next year, and if you are living in an income-taxing state now, that supplemental information may help you reduce your state taxes  (presumably they will change the supplemental information to indicate what sub-portion of the box 12 $$ came from bonds issued by your new state....now that you have informed them of your new state and address)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
jye25

Dear User2903,

I understand your concern. It might be good for you to attach a letter explaining it. Make certain you fill out the form with correct information. You're right some of those forms have the state listed and the amount deducted if any from that state. You can try again to get Betterment to correct the form and send you a copy through email or let you access it when you sign in online. Good luck! I'm sorry I can't help you more. Perhaps someone else will be able to give you information and ideas that will work for you.

Sincerely,

jye25

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies