turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filled my taxes married separate but want to change it to joint is it too late?

I just submitted my taxes on my own for the first time but didn't include my wife wasn't too sure how the process worked but I want to change it to joint married.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filled my taxes married separate but want to change it to joint is it too late?

You need to amend your return. 

However, slow down. The amended return form 1040-X will not be available until mid-February. 

You CANNOT e-file an amended return, you must PRINT and MAIL it --it usually takes the IRS 2-4 months to process an amended return.

Finally, you need to WAIT until you find out if your return has be REJECTED or ACCEPTED.

If it has been rejected that you can simply make the corrections required to fix the rejection AND at the same time add the information for your spouse, and re-submit your CORRECTED e-filed return.

If it has been accepted you will have to prepare and mail an amended return ---BUT WAIT until you receive your refund before filing the amended return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You need to amend your return. 

However, slow down. The amended return form 1040-X will not be available until mid-February. 

You CANNOT e-file an amended return, you must PRINT and MAIL it --it usually takes the IRS 2-4 months to process an amended return.

Finally, you need to WAIT until you find out if your return has be REJECTED or ACCEPTED.

If it has been rejected that you can simply make the corrections required to fix the rejection AND at the same time add the information for your spouse, and re-submit your CORRECTED e-filed return.

If it has been accepted you will have to prepare and mail an amended return ---BUT WAIT until you receive your refund before filing the amended return.

I just received an email that my taxes were accepted by the IRS. How do I start the process for an amend, will I have to wait to submit my wife w2?

If you have already filed your return you MUST WAIT until the IRS accepts your return

And, if you are due a refund it is best to wait until you have actually received your refund.  Then, and only then you can prepare an amended return and add your spouse.  The amended return MUST be PRINTED and MAILED --it CANNOT be e-filed.  An amended return generally can take 3-4 months for the IRS to process it --and the processing of amended returns does not start until later in the year.

If your return is rejected, you can add your spouse at the same time as you make the corrections required by the IRS and resubmit your e-file.

Above all, DO NOT DO ANYTHING until your return is accepted or rejected.

When mailing a printed return it is always a good idea to go to the Post Office and mail it 'Certified' with 'Return Receipt'.  That way you will have proof that they received it and when it was received.

To start and amended return using the Desktop version of the program look for the 'AMEND' button/link on the first screen you see when you launch TTax.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies