Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed saying no one can claim me as a dependant but my mom is claiming me because I just graduated college, will I get in trouble, or can I change this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

I filed saying no one can claim me as a dependant but my mom is claiming me because I just graduated college, will I get in trouble, or can I change this?

No, you won't get in trouble, but you will need to amend your return and change it to someone did claim me. You will have to mail in your amended return, they cannot be e-filed. Also, your Mom will not be able to e-file and will have to file by mail also, because you already filed with your social security number as a non-dependent. 

Please note the amendment Form 1040X will not be finalized until February 11th, but don't worry you have until April 18, 2019 to amend your 2015 taxes. See FAQ below for more info: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

No, you won't get in trouble, but you will need to amend your return and change it to someone did claim me. You will have to mail in your amended return, they cannot be e-filed. Also, your Mom will not be able to e-file and will have to file by mail also, because you already filed with your social security number as a non-dependent. 

Please note the amendment Form 1040X will not be finalized until February 11th, but don't worry you have until April 18, 2019 to amend your 2015 taxes. See FAQ below for more info: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Great, thank you!

Oh dear.  So did you file a return that said no one else could claim you as a dependent and now your parent's return is being rejected?  But really you can be claimed as her dependent?  

Mom will have to prepare her return that claims you as a dependent and MAIL it to the IRS.  She cannot e-file now.  But she can go ahead and do that without waiting for you to amend your return.

Your part of fixing this is to file an amended return.  Wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  The form you will need to prepare an amended return is called a 1040X.  It will be available in mid-February.  You amend to say in Personal Info that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  Then you print and mail your 1040X.  It will then take 2-3 months for the IRS to process your amended 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

what if i filed as someone could claim me but no one will claim me. Am i still elegible for a Stimulus check ? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies