turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ladyduck888
Returning Member

When does the IRS start accepting returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

45 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The IRS will start accepting returns on January 28th.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-confirms-tax-filing-season-to-begin-january-28

kmf87

Received confirmation that mine were accepted by IRS today.

My Fed shows received and accepted by IRS 1/14/19 and State 1/15/19. Probably doesn't matter since I filed with the ACTC. :(

I filled on Jan. 22 and they have accepted mines what does that mean

It meas your return was part of a test batch that the IRS always does prior to the official opening.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Okay got so it will go through the process a little early then?
dloper25
Returning Member

@Marc in San Diego from my understanding they arent holding funds like they did last year with the ACTC ... Mine was accepted 1/22 and i have the ACTC as well. I think that was only last year
dloper25
Returning Member

@Marc in San Diego - i just looked it up and found this - so disappointing.  

Why is my refund being held?

If you claim the EITC or ACTC on your tax return, the IRS cannot issue your refund before mid-February. The law requires the IRS to hold the entire refund — even the portion not associated with the EITC or ACTC. Like previous years, some tax refunds may be held if there are questions about the tax return or the IRS needs more information.
When will I get my refund?

The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or debit cards starting February 27, 2019, if these taxpayers chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return.

@dloper25 - Nope.  2017 and beyond.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3397970-some-2018-federal-refunds-will-be-delayed-due-to-the-path-...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dloper25
Returning Member

@macuser_22 this is bullshit. Turbo tax didnt say anything about it .. if i knew that i wouldn't of filed so early. IRS didnt have anything on the website either, looks like they just updated it on the 17th. SMH.

The PATH act was put in place to stop one type of tax fraud where  tax thieves would file false tax returns claiming income from jobs that did not exist and claim EIC and/or ATOC.  If they filed early enough, the IRS would pay the refund without question because the supporting W-2's do not need to be filed by the employer until Feb 1 and then it takes several more days to get in to the IRS system.

The PATH act told the IRS not to process any tax return that had EIC or ATOC until Feb 15 to allow the IRS to match the tax return with the W-2 that supports the income.    That change has almost stopped cold that type of fraud and has saved taxpayers millions of dollars in fraudulent refunds.
CiCi

Correct . This has been in place for 3 years now.

@dloper25 - This is what the IRS says:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing">https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing</a>

I filed on 1/7 accepted on 1/14 and received refund yesterday 1/24. So the IRS is processing refunds. I didn't have EIC.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies