Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes with TurboTax then My taxes were accepted. I paid my state and my federal taxes with TurboTax but now they’re saying I did not pay them. What do I do

I would like to speak to somebody with TurboTax because I filed with you guys and I paid my taxes with you guys. They were accepted. I have my proof.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I filed my taxes with TurboTax then My taxes were accepted. I paid my state and my federal taxes with TurboTax but now they’re saying I did not pay them. What do I do

Your proof of payment is either a cancelled check or a bank statement showing the payment and the payee or a credit card statement showing the payment and the payee.

Do you have these types of proof of payment?

Who is saying you didn’t pay?  Was it your state?  How did you pay it?  

Your only proof of payment is your bank statement or credit card showing the payment coming out.  Turbo Tax only passes your bank account number to the IRS or state for them to take it out of your account.  (Most states do not let you pay by Direct Debit so you have to mail in a check or go directly to the state's website to pay).  And some banks use different routing numbers for deposits and payments.  Double check the number you entered with your bank.

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbotax logo.  If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay.  Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

And you can’t have a state tax due or federal tax due deducted from the other refund.  At the end Turbo Tax just shows you the net federal and state combined. But that is only for your info. You will still get the full refund and need to pay a tax due. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

How exactly did you pay the federal and state tax? You can't pay "with TurboTax." The most you can do in TurboTax is enter your bank account information and TurboTax will put the information that you enter on your tax return. The IRS or the state will then take the money from your bank account. The debit would show up on your bank statement. Most states do not allow paying this way, but a few do.

If you did not pay directly from your bank account, you had to either mail a check, pay by credit card, or pay on the IRS or state web site.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies