Solved: I filed my 2019 Fed return by mail. The IRS rec'd ...

thetaylorken

I filed my 2019 Fed return by mail. The IRS rec'd my check, but say they never got my return. Should I contact them? send a copy? Or file electronically thru TurboTx?

Summary:  I have 2 issues:
1)  How is best way to get my 2019 return to the IRS.
2)  I am motivated by NOT receiving the 2nd COVID-19 stimulus check (i.e. $600), and PROBABLY not receiving the current one (i.e. $1400)

Cynthiad66

However, if you file the 2020, there is a provision in there to solve all of your Stimulus checks problems.  You should file the 2020 NOW! that will give you the Recovery Rebate Credit where you can recoup the $600 and $1,200.00 Stimulus checks plus the $1,400.00 check.

The American Rescue Plan provides relief for millions of Americans through numerous measures, including a third round of stimulus checks, unemployment benefit extensions, and expansions of the Child Tax Credit and the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

This means if you qualify for a third stimulus check, you could get up to $1,400 for each taxpayer in your household plus $1,400 for each dependent.

• Families earning less than $150,000 a year and individuals earning less than $75,000 a year should get the full $1,400 per person.
  • Families earning up to $160,000 per year and individuals earning up to $80,000 per year will receive prorated amounts.
  • One notable difference from the first two stimulus is that you will receive stimulus payments for all your dependents, including adult dependents and college students.

To find out if you are eligible and how much you can expect, visit our stimulus calculator.

Do I need to apply to get a stimulus check?

You don’t need to do anything to get your stimulus check. The IRS will determine eligibility based on your last tax return (either 2019 or 2020) and will likely send your payment to the bank account where your tax refund was deposited.

When will I get my stimulus check?

The IRS has begun distributing stimulus payments and we expect people could receive their stimulus payments as early as next week (March 17th).  

See this link for additional information:  How Will The Third Stimulus Affect Me

[edited 3/15/2021 | (:54am pst])]

Cynthiad66

When will I get my stimulus check?

[edited 3/15/2021 | (:54am pst])]

Bsch4477

You have to mail your return. 

thetaylorken

That didn't help.  Did you read my questions??

thetaylorken

Thanks.  Here's a follow up question:

I filed my 2019 return BY MAIL in July 2020 (they extended the filing date until July 15th)...... and now it's almost 9 months later...... would they still not have processed it?  The transcript says "No tax return filed" and yet they DO acknowledge my payment check with my return.  (How can that be??)

I ask this because on the IRS website, they note (in the "Retiree & Senior Citizen" section) that returns filed by mail are taking longer, and they say I should NOT file a 2nd time.  So..... should I?  or shouldn't I send them a copy?

Bsch4477

@Cynthiad66 This TurboTax article says efiling for 2019 is closed.  Is it in error?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/is-it-still-possible-to-e-file-or-earlier-tax-returns-...

crystico

I have the same issue!  I mailed our return and check in July of 2020 and just recently found that they have no recored of the return but have cashed the check.  Have you found a good answer to your question???  Should we send another copy of the 2019 return along with a picture of the cashed check??  It is next to impossible to get answers on this issue or get ahold of the IRS.

I haven't done our 2020 taxes yet, I appreciate the advice about the stimulus $ on that return.

JohnW152

@crystico

Yes, go ahead and send your 2019 return to them.  Attach a letter detailing the facts you attest to above.

Generally, you'd send a copy of your cancelled check, but a picture should be fine.

Also, send a copy of your bank statement or credit card statement, as the case may be, that shows that your payment had been processed.

What you're experiencing does happen sometimes.  Once the IRS receives a paper return with check attached, one of the first things they do is separate the two, processing the check before the return itself.