Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mommyesha

I filed for an extension on TurboTax for my federal. I Live in North Carolina. Do I need to file for an extension on my state as well?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I filed for an extension on TurboTax for my federal. I Live in North Carolina. Do I need to file for an extension on my state as well?

State tax extensions

While the IRS requires you to file Form 4868 in order to request a tax extension, each state has its own requirements for obtaining a similar extension. Some states such as California offer automatic extensions to all taxpayers, while other states require you to file a specific form by the original due date of the return. Here are some tips to help walk you through what you need to do when filing state taxes in your area:

Step 1: Check-in with your state tax authority

Some states including Wisconsin, Alabama and California offer automatic extensions to file your state income tax return without having to file any additional forms. Other states, such as New York, will grant you a extension but you must request it. For the nine states that do not impose a state income tax, you don’t even have to file an income tax return, let alone request an extension. Reach out to your state tax authority to confirm which steps you will need to follow.

Step 2: File the appropriate state tax form

Unlike IRS Form 4868, which applies to all taxpayers throughout the country, you must file the correct state-specific form to obtain the extension. TurboTax also offers TurboTax Easy Extension, an online tool that allows you to file extensions for both your federal and state tax returns.

Step 3: Pay any estimated taxes by the original due date of the return

An extension of time to file your state income tax return does not also mean an extension to pay any taxes you may owe. If you end up owing owe tax at the end of the year, you may be subject to late-payment penalties if you fail to submit a payment by the original tax deadline. To avoid paying any penalties, it’s a good idea to calculate a quick estimate of what you might owe and submit a payment. Even if you overpay, you can always claim a refund in a few months when you eventually file your state tax return.

To get help estimating your taxes, use TurboTax Online.

Step 4: Submit your return by the extension deadline

In most cases, your state tax return is due by October 15 after you file for an extension. However, if you fail to file a complete return by this date, your state may charge you penalties just for filing your return late.

Let an expert do your taxes for you, start to finish with TurboTax Live Full Service. Or you can get your taxes done right, with experts by your side with TurboTax Live Assisted. File your own taxes with confidence using TurboTax. Just answer simple questions, and we’ll guide you through filing your taxes with confidence. Whichever way you choose, get your maximum refund guaranteed.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, you don't need to file an extension for North Carolina.  A taxpayer who is granted an extension to file a federal income tax return will be granted an automatic extension. A taxpayer who is not granted an extension to file a federal income tax return must file Form D-410.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies