Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed back in March. But today I received an IRS letter claiming that Schedule A, Schedule D and Schedule 1 were missing or incomplete. What happend?

I've used TurboTax for years and never had a letter from the IRS claiming they didn't receive certain schedules. It's strange too because the IRS cashed the check I sent and the state issued me a refund back in March. So, why do they claim schedules are suddenly missing or incomplete?  Could it be a scam?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I filed back in March. But today I received an IRS letter claiming that Schedule A, Schedule D and Schedule 1 were missing or incomplete. What happend?

"Could it be a scam?"

A real IRS letter will have the IRS logo on the envelope.  It will also have a notice number (CP) or a letter number (LTR) in the upper or lower right hand corner.  It will also have your partial tax ID number.  If in doubt, call the IRS at 800-829-1040.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

The envelope doesn't say "IRS" -- it just says "Official Business"  and "Penalty for Private Use, $300" on the outside of the envelope.

On the left hand top of the letter, it has the IRS logo.

The letter doesn't have a "notice number" - but it does have an "OMB Clearance No". It also has another number, which it states "In reply, refer to (number) "

I'll call the IRS on Monday at the number you listed.

It did list several numbers for me to call if I have questions about the letter. They all start with 1-800-829- ... But then the last digits are different from the number you provided.

It's just really strange. Has anybody ever filed through TurboTax - where the IRS claimed some of the schedules were missing or incomplete?

@madison1137 

Did you mail in the return with the payment ?   Did you fail to include the missing forms ?   Just because the cashed the check doesn't mean anything other than they got the payment.  Print the missing forms being asked for and return them as indicated in the notice ... many times you can fax them ... read the notice carefully.  

I sent the entire return electronically through TurboTax.

When I sent the check, I mailed it separately without the full return.I think I just sent it with the first two pages of the 1040 or whatever TurboTax told me to send it with. .....  Is this the issue? Should I have sent the entire 50+page return with the check? ..... It does offer a way to fax it to them - but I was worried about using that method for security purposes.  Isn't faxing risky from a security perspective? ....  Also, if it's a scam, I'm worried about faxing all of  my financial details to them by fax.

OMG ...  only the 1040-V should have been sent with the payment as the filing instructions told you if you had read them carefully.    No wonder the IRS data input operator is confused if you sent a 1040 ... they think you mailed in the return.  If you successfully efiled the return did you check the IRS site to see if it is in processing ?  

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Honestly, I don't remember what I sent with the check. I mailed exactly what TurboTax told me to send with the check.

As for the electronic filing - yes, I received confirmation as soon as I filed it. I clicked the link that you provided - but this is for people who are expecting a refund. I owed money. However, I clicked it anyway and it said the return is still being processed..... But what's really odd about all of this is that the state had no trouble processing this return and issuing me a refund last MARCH!

Ok ... I would call the number on the notice and ask what is happening.  Returns with a balance due on them were put to the back of the line for processing ... returns with refunds get processed first for obvious reasons. 

It is possible that those forms go missing even if you efiled successfully so you may just need to comply with the request if requested. 

I tried to call the IRS at the number listed - and after going through many "push 1, push 4, push 5, etc." for about five minutes, a recording came on stating they were too busy and to try again tomorrow.  This is so frustrating!!!!

I also called TurboTax to see if they knew why the IRS didn't receive all of my forms electronically and nobody could answer.  

Even worse - on the TurboTax site, it lists my tax returns for the past 10 years - but not the one for 2021!  It says I didn't file through TurboTax in 2021 - when I did!! I have a copy of it on my computer - and the IRS sent me an email confirming I had sent it after I filed it electronically through TurboTax.  ...... So, I asked for a manager - and they told me someone would call me back in 24 to 48 hours. So, I"m now waiting to hear from them. ..... I'm really losing confidence in TurboTax after this experience!!! 

try this IRS number 800:: 829:: 0922

if you call at 7am EST you have a change to get on the queue to wait

@madison1137 

@madison1137 

Either you used the downloaded program to efile the return (which will never show up on the online TT look up tool)  or you used a different online account so log into that account to get the filing status.

bartdude

I too, e-filed via TT in October 2022; received the usual, proper e-mail notification from TT  that stated: "Your federal tax return  was accepted by the IRS". About two+ weeks ago,  I received a LTR 12C from IRS, listing a whole array of Forms & Schedules "missing or incomplete".  TT would never allow us to file 1040's with "missing or incomplete" Forms & Schedules! So, am wondering what might have happened... I've been using TT for about a decade now, and this is the first time it ever happened to me.

Yes, I think it's a TurboTax issue.

But TurboTax has been no help in this. When I called, they weren't able to answer any questions on what happened - -and, instead, said that a manager would call me back in 24 to 48 hours.  It's now been weeks - and no manager ever called me. I've really lost confidence in this company.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies