turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed an extension with TT. It asked for spouse information but the completed document only has my name. Do I need to file an additional extension for my spouse?

I filed an extension and I thought is was for both my spouse and myself, since I was asked spouse information. The information I included was our combined paid and owed taxes for 2018. After I filed the extension using TT, the completed document only has my name listed and not my spouse, it also includes the tax information for both of us combined. My questions are do I need to file a separate extension for my wife? Can I do that using TT? If so, how can I amend my current extension to reflect my tax information only?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I filed an extension with TT. It asked for spouse information but the completed document only has my name. Do I need to file an additional extension for my spouse?

It's normal to see only the primary taxpayer's information (whoever is listed first) but the extension covers both spouses when you file a joint return (it would even cover you both if you didn't put your spouse on the extension when you filed it).

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies