Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

renelle01

I filed a injured spouse claim 8379 and the money I was suppose to get back was still put towards my husband childs support. why would that happen?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I filed a injured spouse claim 8379 and the money I was suppose to get back was still put towards my husband childs support. why would that happen?

Did you file the 8379 with your tax return or afterward?  Did you have income of your own?  Are you in a community properrty state?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anita01

Did you file the 8379 with your tax return or afterward?  Did you have income of your own?  Are you in a community properrty state?

renelle01

I filed the 8379 a day after I did my taxes, the irs processed both, on the 11th of March I decided to check my status on where’s my refund and it stated my refund was reduced and that my new amount was stated and two dates were given. Then Friday I checked and it stated that my refund was sent to a past due obligation and that I need to call the bfs. I did work and made more than my husband and no we don’t live in a community property state.
Anita01

If you filed these on different dates, it would be something of a miracle if the IR actually processed them anywhere near the same date.  it usually takes the IRS about 14 wees to process an 8379.  It looks to me like they've only processed your original return and not the separate 8379 but the only way to be sure is to call them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=IRS+contat+us&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS759US759&oq=IRS+contat+us&aqs=chrome.....

renelle01

So even though, I sent the injured spouse paper the 29 of Jan and they sent me a paper stating I had to fix my injured spouse paper and fax it back. I done that on the 27 of feb and had a date by the 11 of March with a different amount of what I was going to get when I did my taxes in the beginning?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies