turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered the wrong AGI too many times and it’s now keeping me from e filing is there anyway I can make it to where I can e-file since I now have my AGI from my 2018 returns

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I entered the wrong AGI too many times and it’s now keeping me from e filing is there anyway I can make it to where I can e-file since I now have my AGI from my 2018 returns

Generally you can only have 3 rejects before you are forced to paper file.

The IRS uses your prior year AGI to combat fraud. 

You can request a transcript of your 2018 tax return from the IRS to ensure you have the right number. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript 

Check these items as well to ensure you have the correct number.  If you:

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0.
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A).
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less.
  • Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2018 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you).

Unfortunately, without the correct number, your only option would be to print and mail in your return. 

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chuck7050

I checked my 2018 AGI and it matches what I entered on the 2019 return?  Why would this be rejected?  We filed jointly, should I be looking at just my wife's AGI?  

And now am I going to have to mail my return?  Why didn't turbo tax catch this?

Chuck

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you filed jointly in 2018, your Adjusted Gross Income and your wife's AGI is the same. 

If you file separately or were single in 2018 then it is possible that it is your wife's AGI that is giving you a problem. If you have already used your 3 rejects you may just have to file by mail. 

The IRS requires that your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) from your tax return from the previous year be included with any tax return e-filed this year.

You can find your 2018 AGI on Line 7 of your Form 1040.

If you had filed with TurboTax last year, the AGI would have been automatically added to the return. If you did not file with TurboTax last year (or if you filed in a different TurboTax account), you will need to enter the AGI from last year manually. The AGI is added near the end of the filing process, just before filing the return.

To find the AGI from a different TurboTax account, sign in to that account, then scroll down on the opening page until you get to Your Tax Returns and Documents. Chose 2018 and download your tax return.

If your previous year tax returns are not available, you can use the IRS Get Transcript tool. Try the online option first. If you are unable to obtain the transcript online, you can have one sent to the address the IRS has on record for you. You can find IRS Get Transcript here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies