Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I efiled the 8332 form but did not mail it in can the noncustodial parent still file my child

For my 2016 tax returns i efiled the 8332 form but did not mail it in can the noncustodial parent still claim my child 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I efiled the 8332 form but did not mail it in can the noncustodial parent still file my child

If you didn't give the physical signed Form 8332 to the custodial parent, he cannot claim the child. If you didn't give him the signed form, it's the same as if you never filled out the form.

The noncustodial parent has to attach the signed Form 8332 to his tax return (or mail it separately with a transmittal form). You filing the form yourself, by any means, electronic or otherwise, does not allow the noncustodial parent to claim the child.

If you filed Form 8332 with TurboTax, you did not e-file it. There is no way to e-file Form 8332 in TurboTax. You might have filled it out in TurboTax, but it did not get e-filed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You have to physically give form 8332 to the other parent. He has to mail it in, with his return (or with form 8453 , if he e-files).

You must also sign it with a pen.

so does it not hold any rights since it wasn't signed or mailed ??? So he can still claim him this year ??
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you didn't give the physical signed Form 8332 to the custodial parent, he cannot claim the child. If you didn't give him the signed form, it's the same as if you never filled out the form.

The noncustodial parent has to attach the signed Form 8332 to his tax return (or mail it separately with a transmittal form). You filing the form yourself, by any means, electronic or otherwise, does not allow the noncustodial parent to claim the child.

If you filed Form 8332 with TurboTax, you did not e-file it. There is no way to e-file Form 8332 in TurboTax. You might have filled it out in TurboTax, but it did not get e-filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies