Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kdunkum17

I efiled. I owe federal taxes and am owed state taxes. The difference owed to me is $97. This is not something Turbo Tax will handle, correct?

In other words, I need to file a federal extension if I plan to pay with my state refund, correct?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I efiled. I owe federal taxes and am owed state taxes. The difference owed to me is $97. This is not something Turbo Tax will handle, correct?

YOU ARE CORRECT.  The two returns are separate, to two different taxing entities, and do not offset.  The two liabilities/credits are independent of each other, and  money collected from one does not automatically offset what is owed the other, nor can Turbo Tax make that happen.  Your returns are processed independently, and Turbo tax cannot link them.

You are correct in that TurboTax doesn't handle paying the Federal tax with your State refund.  In order to avoid penalties on your Federal tax return, you'll need to include payment by 18 April 2023 whether you file the return or file an extension.  Waiting until you receive your State refund will result in late filing penalties on your Federal return.

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

Because state and federal taxes due are processed by two different collection agencies you are not able to pay one with the other. See our TurboTax FAQ for more information  regarding paying your state taxes with your federal tax refund and vice versa.

@kdunkum17 

@kdunkum17   To efile state you need to efile federal first.  So you should efile both now together.  You can say you will mail a check for federal then pay it later.  But the payment is due today.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies