Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I e-filed my 2023 returns with electronic payments, but the returns were rejected. Will the electronic payment (that was authorized through TTx) go through?

I filed the returns, but wasn't notified until a day later that they were rejected ("AGI didn't match" most likely due to I filed 2022 late and couldn't file it electronically.) Did the payment I authorized go through anyway... It hasn't been deducted from my account yet, but I've received nothing saying it won't be debited in a couple days. Can't really afford to double pay and go through the convoluted process of getting money back from the IRS&FTB, neither do I want to be in default and pay penalties for not paying with my resubmitted paper tax returns.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I e-filed my 2023 returns with electronic payments, but the returns were rejected. Will the electronic payment (that was authorized through TTx) go through?

If you selected direct debit from your bank account for the federal taxes owed and the federal tax return was rejected, then the IRS has not received any information concerning the payment.

You need to enter a 0 (zero) for the 2022 AGI and e-file again.  The payment information you already entered stays with your e-filed tax return.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No.  If the return was rejected, the payment would not have gone through either. 

• Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.  IRS EFT

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the answer that if the returns were rejected, the payment wouldn't be going through either. I sincerely hope that is true, but when I quit TTx yesterday afternoon after inputting all the payment info, BEFORE transmitting the return, it had a greeting message that my payments were sent, but I still needed to transmit the return... I can only hope TTx has given me a false statement of having already sent the electronic payment, since I've seen no followup.

Thank you also for the IRS phone number, but since the rest of your answer is about calling the IRS at least 2 days before payment date to cancel a payment, it is moot to my issue of having already sent the payment info a day before the tax return rejection.

Nope... didn't work... rejected again😡 Guess I'll have to file with paper...

@SDoyle wrote:

Nope... didn't work... rejected again😡 Guess I'll have to file with paper...

You can pay the federal taxes owed on the IRS payment website using Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

You can pay the California state taxes owed using this FTB website - https://www.ftb.ca.gov/pay/bank-account/index.asp

If you go this route, in TurboTax select that you will pay by mailing a check and then do not mail a check.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Did you get a different rejection code this time?   Or was this rejection the same as the previous rejections (mismatched 2022 AGI)?   Not sure if you tried everything on this list regarding the 2022 AGI, but it may be worth it to review the possible solutions one more time.   Help with last year's AGI

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies