Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I downloaded TurboTax 2023 from Costco.com. The software won't install onto my Windows 10 laptop. I get errors saying VCRUNTIME140.dll and MSVCP140.dll are not found.

Anyone else having this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

I downloaded TurboTax 2023 from Costco.com. The software won't install onto my Windows 10 laptop. I get errors saying VCRUNTIME140.dll and MSVCP140.dll are not found.

your first option is to contact support to see what their solution is

5am-5pm Pacific Time (8-8 Eastern) Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

800-446-8848

at your own risk if you want to try to correct the issue yourself without help from support

non MS solution

1. Launch the Windows Settings app, go to Apps > Apps & features > Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable and select Modify. there may be two versions (x86 and x64). on my computer its 2015-2022
  2. if two versions do one at a time
  3. after modify a second window will open. jt will have options to repair, uninstall, change the app 
  4. select repair
  5. when done another window will appear. click on restart 
  6. repeat for other version of there is one

another suggestion if you are an administrator 

at the elevated command prompt ( right click on it and run as admistrator)

a new window should open 

type sfc /scannow

This is what Microsoft suggests.

When you encounter the error message “VCRUNTIME140.dll and MSVCP140.dll are not found”, it means that the required Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package is missing or corrupted. These files are essential for running certain applications on your computer.

To resolve this issue, you can try reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package. Here are the steps to follow:

Open the Control Panel on your computer.
Go to Programs and Features.
Uninstall all the 2015 and/or 2017 versions of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables installed on your PC.
Download and install the newest versions of the 2015 and 2017 versions of the C++ Redistributable from the official Microsoft website 1234.
After following these steps, restart your computer and try launching the program again. This should resolve the issue.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170 

your other option is to contact support to see what their solution is

5am-5pm Pacific Time (8-8 Eastern) Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

800-446-8848

@Mike9241 

This is a new one, just showing up now....but, I just noticed that Microsoft has also just issued a couple of new OS updates.

I wonder if this error is due to an individual having their Windows OS updates partially-installed, but not rebooted yet .

i.e. For anyone who encounters this, they may need to first make sure all their Windows updates are fully installed, and they have rebooted their computer.  The try the TTX installation.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I've already tried most of those things.

I called support and it sent me to Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows (intuit.com). I've already tried much of that list too.

I guess it's time to look for new software. I do four family members' returns with TurboTax Deluxe. Using TurboTax Online, which charges separately for each return, would be very expensive for me.

kidmoreni

Just ran into this problem. The X86 version of the C++ executable from Microsoft fixes the problem with the installer.

I'm guessing here, but Turbotax installed itself into C\Programs Files. I assume that means it is a 64-bit program, Apparently the installer (ZIP file download from Amazon) needs the x86 version, because one I installed the version, the install went perfectly.

YMMV

Good luck

As KidMoreni pointed out above, I solved this missing VCRUNTIME140.dll and MSVCP140.dll by downloading the x86 version of the C++ redistributable. Thanks.

JM_123

I bought TT Premier from BJ's and got the same error message, returned it and bought a similar copy from Costco. Both resulted in MAVCP140.DLL not found and VCRUNTIME.DLL not found.

kidmoreni

Did you install the x86 version of the runtimes? The installer is a 32-bit program.

JSTL

I have an x64 windows system and had to install the x86 version of the VC++ Redistributable Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170#visual-studio...

Boboprf
Returning Member

My desktop was 10 yrs old, slow and ran into a few problems running programs.  So, to avoid not being able to run TT this year I bought a Dell with Win 11, etc.  AND TT STILL WOULDN'T INSTALL due to a problem with missing the MSV....dll file.  So back to TThelp site, enter the offending error and found this thread.  It was fixed after installing the  x86 version of the VC++ Redistributable Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022 as commented by JSTL.

Bothersome that TurboTax doesn't do their homework (again) for the end user to fix an obvious issue with the installation.  I had a similar experience a few years ago with the installation for which a known issue could have, no should have been cleaned up before distribution.

radatzjs

This help platform, must have been created by !!!  What gives?    Same problem. There should be an automatic fix. or at least a registered one.  

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I found this solution from Microsoft:

"The lack of these DLLs can be fixed by installing "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 - 2022 Redistributable". Probably the application that is showing this error depends on it installed.

Download from the links below. I suggest you install both the x86 and x64 versions.
x86: https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x86.exe
x64: https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/la...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions."

@radatzjs 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AJmih

Don't give up too soon!  Frustrating I know..

• Per Mike9241 -  tried modifying--Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable .. Nope
  • Per MarlynG1 - dowloaded latest x86 and x64 from Micro link below, installed both and restarted .. Nope(my is machine x64 - no issue with both being installed)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist

• Did the modify ,repair on both x86 and x64, restarted ... SUCCESS!  

Good Luck

AJmih

Don't give up too soon!  Frustrating I know..

• Per Mike9241 -  tried modifying--Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable .. Nope
  • Per MarlynG1 - dowloaded latest x86 and x64 from Micro link below, installed both and restarted .. Nope(my is machine x64 - no issue with both being installed)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist

• Did the modify ,repair on both x86 and x64, restarted ... SUCCESS!  

Good Luck

Dvarma69

Same thing happened to me, bought from Costco - beyond frustrating!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies