Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I downloaded the TurboTax app, created an account under my name, is it ok to then file my minor daughter’s W2 information with her information.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I downloaded the TurboTax app, created an account under my name, is it ok to then file my minor daughter’s W2 information with her information.

Yes. If your child is not old enough to understand and prepare a tax return, then it becomes the parent's responsibility to file it for them or to include the income on their tax return. 

Tax Filing Requirements for Children

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you are using the TurboTax desktop edition installed on your personal computer, you only needed a TurboTax account to access the license code for the 2023 software.  Once the license code has been entered in the software there is no longer a need for you to use the TurboTax account when starting, completing or filing a tax return using the installed software.

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

You can use the software installed to complete and file as many tax returns as needed.

Are you using the Mobile App or the Online version or the Desktop installed program? 

Online is only good for one return per account. But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts. Online is only good for 1 return per account. So don't use your account or you will overwrite your return.  Sign up and start a new account here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online

If you have the Desktop program you can do unlimited returns and efile 5.  Start a new return, go up to File-NEW.  Be sure to save each return with a different name.

If their only income is W2 and under 13,850 they do not have to file a return except to get back any withholding taken out. If they got a 1099NEC for any amount they have to file a return.

They don't have to file if they only have W2 income under 13,850 (2023) but can file to get back any withholding taken out in boxes 2 or 17. But you don't get boxes 4 or 6 back. If they got a 1099Misc or 1099NEC they have to file it as self employment income no matter how small the amount.

Be sure on their return they check the box that says they can be claimed on someone else’s return.

Filing requirements for a dependent
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies