turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tahjiem

If I filed my return with turbotax but didn't mail it in yet, is it too late to try file with someone else?

I downloaded the return but didnt mean to, will I have to just mail it in now or can I file with someone else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

If I filed my return with turbotax but didn't mail it in yet, is it too late to try file with someone else?

You changed your mind, and want to e-file your tax return(s) instead of printing and mailing. As long as you haven't already mailed your return.

tahjiem

I didn't mail it in yet, I haven't even printed the return. When I tried to e-file it said I couldn't with my W-2, but I already finished filing with turbo tax and I wanted to know if I didn't mail the return can I file somewhere else?

You changed your mind, and want to e-file your tax return(s) instead of printing and mailing. As long as you haven't already mailed your 2017 paper return, you can switch to the e-filing method (through October 15, 2018). Some states now require e-filing their returns, and federal and state returns must be e-filed together.

On the other hand, if you already mailed your return, don't e-file. This can cause problems with the government, including refund delays.

If you wish to change how you'll file your taxes in TurboTax, follow the steps below for either the TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download version.

There are options before filing to save a PDF file you can use later to view and print the tax return (Adobe Reader or equivalent is required for viewing and printing).
Change to e-file your return in TurboTax Online versions

Remember, before saving or printing your return, any charges or fees must be paid for.

In TurboTax Online versions, these steps will change how you'll file your tax return(s).

In TurboTax Online, sign into your account.
    From the Welcome home box on the left, Click on Visit My Tax Timeline below the Download/print return button.
    Under SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO click on Add a state. (You are not adding a state to your return.  By choosing this option it will allow us to open up your return.)
    Click on the File tab across the top below the Search option.
    On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
    Click the Start button to the right of Step 3.
    This will navigate you to the Here are your filing choices screen, click I'd like to change filing methods.
    Change your filing method to E-file and click Save.
    Click Continue and follow the onscreen prompts to efile your return.

Change to e-file your return in TurboTax CD/Download versions
tahjiem

I don't want to file with turbotax all together. I haven't mailed my return or e-filed it. Can I still file with someone else?

Your you can.
tahjiem

So that's a yes? Thanks for the help.
Danmart

I didn't file my return or even printed it, how do you edit the existing return in the 2020 version of turbotax online? The only option seems to be to file an amended return which doesn't make sense since you haven't filed the return.

Perplexed

Dan

@Danmart wrote:

I didn't file my return or even printed it, how do you edit the existing return in the 2020 version of turbotax online? The only option seems to be to file an amended return which doesn't make sense since you haven't filed the return.

Perplexed

Dan

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return.

Danmart

How do obtain the worksheets on the 2020 Turbotax Online version?

Dan

@Danmart wrote:

How do obtain the worksheets on the 2020 Turbotax Online version?

Dan

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies