I do not have my W2s. How do I file taxes. I canno...

I do not have my W2s. How do I file taxes. I cannot get them as I am in sheltering in place in a location this isn't my home. How do I proceed?

file form 4868 request for automatic extension of time to file.

You can pay all or part of your estimated income tax due and **indicate that the payment is for an extension** using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, or using a credit or debit card. Your extension is then automatically granted.

Pay any amount ($5.00 will do) 

You won't need an extension if you expect you can get access by July 15.

If someone is living where your forms are, maybe they can send you photocopies.

(Never a good idea to put important original documents in the mail.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

the IRS might have partial transcripts of the w-2's - no state info

no rush return isn;'t due to 7/15

could always contact employer for duplicates. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI although the federal and most state deadlines have been automatically extended, at least some states are still charging interest on any tax owed starting April 15th. Find your state's current policies by clicking the header currently at the top of the turbotax homepage (the link I tried to add here is getting corrupted by the forum software because it apparently looks like a product key).

I'm guessing interest for a few months wouldn't be so much, but avoiding having to deal with it is why I'm personally trying to get my taxes calculated by the original deadline.

Make a payment with request for extension ( as you are supposed to) that is at or above the tax you owe after withholding and there will be no interest penalties.

Then check the box on your state return "Federal extension requested".

If you expect a refund it doesn't matter how late your tax return is filed.