Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't work this year so i don't have a W-2, but i still need to file because of a market insurance. Will it let me file with out a W-2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I didn't work this year so i don't have a W-2, but i still need to file because of a market insurance. Will it let me file with out a W-2?

Yes, if you do not have a W-2 you will simply skip that section, you can still enter your 1095-A.  

Can I File an Income Tax Return If I Don't Have Any Income?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you will be receiving a tax refund or taxes owed after you have entered the Form 1095-A and the Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit has been completed by the TurboTax you should be able to e-file.

However, if the program will not let you e-file since there will not be any taxable income reported on your tax return, you can add $1 of interest income so the return can be e-filed.  Otherwise the tax return can only be printed and mailed.

When entering the interest income on the Form 1099-INT enter any name for the Payer/Received From and $1 in box 1.

If the program Review tells you that the FEIN for the Form 1099-INT needs to be entered, ignore the message and continue.

To report interest income received -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)
Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home & Business)
Click on I'll choose what I work on
Investments and Savings
On Interest on 1099-INT, click on the start or update button

Or enter interest income in the Search box locate in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to interest income

On the screen Did you have investment income in 2023? Click on Yes

On the screen Let's import your tax info, click on Enter a different way

On the screen OK, let's start with one investment type, click on Interest and Continue

On the screen How would you like to upload your 1099-INT? Click on Type it in myself

To enter, edit or delete your Form 1095-A -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A), click the start or update button

Or enter 1095-a in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1095-a

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies