Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't work last year so I have no forms can I still file a state tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I would hope so especially if you are an independent contractor and you paid quarterly withholding.  If you did not have state taxes withheld and you did not work, why would you expect to get a refund?  I cannot think of a scenario where you would need to file and if you did you would get a refund unless you had part of your prior year return held for 2022 taxes or you had taxes withheld during 2022.  You should be able to get the state return form online and then mail your return since you missed the April 18th deadline or you could pay TurboTax $25 to file one state return if you purchased TurboTax for tax year 2022.  

Larry

Hal_Al
Level 15

Which state?

Why do you want to file a state return? What are you expecting, a refundable credit of some sort? Why do you think you qualify?

Using TurboTax, you must first prepare a federal return before you can prepare a state return.  You do not have to actually file the federal return.  You will have to paper mail the state return. You cannot e-file a state return, if you did not e-file a federal return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies