tdbraves

I deleted a 2017 tax return how can I restore it from my trash....I have a MAC computer

I already e-filed the Federal Tax return but did NOT e-file the State + School District return...

CarissaM
Employee TurboTax Specialist

If the file is in the trash folder on your MAC then you can try to follow the process below to restore it to your desktop. If you have deleted a return in the TurboTax program there is no way to recover it.

You can also try searching in your hard drive for .tax2016 to locate the file.

If you simply put files in the Trash you can restore them by opening the Trash (left-click on the Trash icon) and drag the files from the Trash to your Desktop or other desired location.  OS X also provides a short-cut to undo the last item moved to the Trash -press COMMAND-Z.

If you empty the Trash the files are gone. If a program does an immediate delete rather than moving files to the Trash, then the files are gone.  Recovery is possible but you must not allow any additional writes to the hard drive - shut it down. When files are deleted only the directory entries, not the files themselves, is modified. The space occupied by the files has been returned to the system as available for storage, but the files are still on the drive. Writing to the drive will then eventually overwrite the space once occupied by the deleted files in which case the files are lost permanently. Also if you save a file over an existing file of the same name, then the old file is overwritten and cannot be recovered.

CarissaM
Employee TurboTax Specialist

Did you delete the return from TurboTax or did you delete the program from your computer?
tdbraves

Just the return...not the Turbo Tax program
tdbraves

Just the return....not the Turbo Tax Program
CarissaM
Employee TurboTax Specialist

No what I mean is did you delete the return from inside the TurboTax program, or had you downloaded a copy of your return and that is what you deleted?
tdbraves

I must have done both as au do not see the return in Turbo Tax when I open it up...I did save returns as a PDF file but I think it is trash also
tdbraves

I must have done both as I do not see the return in Turbo Tax when I open the program up...I did save the returns as a PDF file but I think I put it in trash also
tdbraves

OK...I will try what you told me and see what I get.....thank you so much for your help
CarissaM
Employee TurboTax Specialist

Your welcome.
CarissaM
Employee TurboTax Specialist

candicefrida

Here is an easy way to recover deleted files after emptying trash folder on Mac

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0u1x0PlFQ0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0u1x0PlFQ0</a>
Thomasmass

If you don't empty the trash, you can easily recover the deleted tax return from mac. Fortunately, there are Time Machines on the Mac that can help recover lost files. This is the step:
1. On the Mac, click the Time Machine icon > select Enter Time Machine.
2. Click the up arrow on the right side of the Finder window > Swipe down the backup file on your Mac to find the deleted file.
3. Press and hold Commands and select the file you want to restore > click Restore to restore the files on your Macintosh to the current Finder > open it and save it to a different location.

bobby runner

Vanessa A

If you still have the CD, you can follow the steps in the link below to get a download version of 2017. 

I bought the CD, but my computer doesn't have a CD drive

If these steps do not work for you would need to call product support at 1-800-446-8848 for them to push you a download to replace your product purchased in a previous year. 

bobby runner

Thank You