Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pddwyer1

I cashed old series E savings bonds in 2023. Should I get a statement for the interest earned on those bonds ? What is that statement called?

All I have is a Savings bond redemption receipt from the bank where I cashed these series E savings bonds.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I cashed old series E savings bonds in 2023. Should I get a statement for the interest earned on those bonds ? What is that statement called?

@pddwyer1 

Normally, you are supposed to get a 1099-INT from the bank...to enter into the tax software.

There would likely be $$ in both boxes 1 and 3 of the 1099-INT, but the major amount will be in box 3 for the Sav Bond interest.   (Box 1 would be the pitiful/paltry amount of regular checking/savings bank interest from your other accounts at the bank)

If you didn't get a 1099-INT from the bank in the mail, then check your online account at that bank for a PDF download of that 1099-INT....i.e. you may be set up for electronic download of forms and bank statements.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

When you enter the interest be sure to put it in box 3 not box 1.  Then it will be excluded from your state return.

To get to box 3. Under the Received from box, you need to check the little box on the left for
….My form has info in more than just box 1 (this is uncommon).

Regardless of whether you get a 1099-INT or not you are required to report the income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies