Sometimes running TurboTax as an administrator resolves these issues.
- Exit TurboTax if it's still running.
- Right-click the TurboTax 20XX icon (with XX standing in for the last two digits of the year) on your desktop.
- Select Properties from the menu.
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Under Settings, check the Run this program as an administrator box.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
Same problem TurboTax 2020 Premier...auto-update: initiates update, seems to download and then install which ends up as "Failed to install update. Microsoft Installer error: 1603, Fatal error during installation." So, went to manual update...worked fine. Then open TurboTax which of course checks for updates right away...cycle continues - same error as original attempt. This is not the first update I have run; also, have TT for Business 2020 installed on same machine - which is not encountering any issues.
@donsfolly Please see the TurboTax FAQ Error 1603: "A fatal error occurred during installation or updating" for assistance with the error code you are receiving.
If the issue still persists, please reach out to TurboTax customer support: What is the TurboTax phone number?
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"