I can't resolve the issue with the downloading of 1099-Bs from eTrade, but I can give you an alternative that is better than entering hundreds of trades one at a time. You can summarize your transactions on Form 8949, by entering the totals for different categories of sales (e.g.
Box A with cost basis reported to the IRS). Here's how you do it:
The statements from your brokerage should include a summary of your account transactions for the year as well as the details for each individual transaction.
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online (if it's not already open) and search for stock sales in the upper right corner.
- Click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- If you land on the Here's the investment sales info we have so far screen, delete any transactions you already imported or manually entered. When finished, click Done.
- Then repeat steps 1 and 2 to get to the Step 3.
- Answer Yes to both Did you sell any investments? and Did you get a 1099-B?
- On the Let us enter your 1099-B (import) screen, click I'll type it in myself.
- When you get to the Let's find out more about your sales screen:
- Check which box(es) apply to your transactions (A, B, C, etc.)
- Scroll down to the bottom and check the box I have many sales and would rather mail them in instead of typing them.
- Click Continue.
- On the following screen, enter the sum of the total proceeds and cost basis in the appropriate box(es).
- When finished, click Continue.
After entering your transactions, complete and file your tax return as you normally would. Be sure to follow these extra instructions:
E-filed returns – Within three days after the IRS has accepted your return, mail the Form 8949 generated by TurboTax, a copy of the summary statements provided by your broker, and the Form 8453 generated by TurboTax, to the following address:
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254
Paper-filed returns – Include the Schedule D prepared by TurboTax and a copy of your transaction summary from your broker or financial institution. Include both Schedule D and Form 8949 with your mailed return, along with any other paperwork specified in the Filing Instructions printout.
e-trade is an import partner so you can select e-trade as your broker.
then it will ask for your credentials.