Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to efile my 1099/w2's but electronic filing is not enabled. How can I enable this so that I can file electronically?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am trying to efile my 1099/w2's but electronic filing is not enabled. How can I enable this so that I can file electronically?

Click on Review and read your screen. You may be aware that in late December Congress passed a major tax reform bill.  That has the IRS scrambling to get tax return forms ready for this tax filing season.  They were waiting for the laws to pass.

Some forms are not finalized so you cannot file.  The IRS has to finalize a number of forms and then approve the finalized forms in the TT software.  Many state forms are not finalized either.  No reason to be in a rush.  The IRS will not be accepting returns until January 29 at the earliest, so filing early will not get you a faster refund.  The earliest refunds will not be released until mid to late February.  You just have to wait for the forms to be ready.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-federal-products-exc...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-state-except-busines...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2018-tax-filing-season-begins-jan-29-tax-returns-due-april-17-help-avai...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Carl
Level 15

The IRS hasn't opened e-filing yet, and won't until Jan 29th. It's my understanding e-filing for everything, not just tax returns, doesn't open until the 29th. Seems weird to me, since W-2's have to be out by Jan 31st.

Click on Review and read your screen. You may be aware that in late December Congress passed a major tax reform bill.  That has the IRS scrambling to get tax return forms ready for this tax filing season.  They were waiting for the laws to pass.

Some forms are not finalized so you cannot file.  The IRS has to finalize a number of forms and then approve the finalized forms in the TT software.  Many state forms are not finalized either.  No reason to be in a rush.  The IRS will not be accepting returns until January 29 at the earliest, so filing early will not get you a faster refund.  The earliest refunds will not be released until mid to late February.  You just have to wait for the forms to be ready.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-federal-products-exc...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-state-except-busines...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2018-tax-filing-season-begins-jan-29-tax-returns-due-april-17-help-avai...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

I  think he's referring to filing W-2's, 1099-MISC's and the 940 to report employee tax information for his business. Does the above still apply to that situation?

Oh..oops..misunderstood.

@bzabik please clarify what you are trying to efile?  W2 and 1099 you received for your work or ones you created to give to your employees?  It shows you are posting from the online Free Edition which is confusing.  Which version are you using?  And Online version or the Desktop program?

I am using Home & Business desktop version.  I was able to complete 1099's and W-2's and print them.  I was not able to efile them because the link to efile was not enabled.  Worse yet, I cannot now find the file that I saved.  I can see the pdf forms that I printed but TTax is not finding the data file to open so that I can efile.  Where did my data file go?

There are 2 different ways to prepare them on the Windows Home & Business program.  Either online using the QEF which does efile them or on your computer where you don’t need to log in.  The built in Desktop W2/1099 Reporter does not efile them.  Which did you use?

I used the Desktop W2/1099 Reporter.  When I click on Electronic Filing, the selection to efile is not enabled.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies