turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

v-med21

I am self- employed and have invoiced a client but they have yet to pay me for the services I provided in November and December. Do I exclude this from my 2016 taxes?

Do I exclude this from my taxes completely? If not, how do I report it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am self- employed and have invoiced a client but they have yet to pay me for the services I provided in November and December. Do I exclude this from my 2016 taxes?

If you are a "cash basis" taxpayer - which most people are - then the act of "billing" is not reportable income to you.  It's the act of actually getting paid that creates reportable income.  Assuming you are a cash basis taxpayer you do not include the billed but unpaid income in your 2016 income tax return.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you are a "cash basis" taxpayer - which most people are - then the act of "billing" is not reportable income to you.  It's the act of actually getting paid that creates reportable income.  Assuming you are a cash basis taxpayer you do not include the billed but unpaid income in your 2016 income tax return.

Tom Young

v-med21

So do I include the unpaid income in my taxes at all?

Not in 2016.  If you get paid in 2017 that's when you report the income ASSUMING YOU'RE A CASH BASIS TAXPAYER.  And if you never get paid then you never report the income.
v-med21

Ok great thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies