turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hcreel83

I am seeing articles online that say your HSA contributions should reduce your adjusted gross income. That doesn't show true on any of my returns, is there a catch?

Contributions are deductible even if you do not itemize your deductions.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I am seeing articles online that say your HSA contributions should reduce your adjusted gross income. That doesn't show true on any of my returns, is there a catch?

There is a bit of a catch.  Assuming you meet the qualifications to make a contribution to your Health Savings Account (HSA), for the contribution to be deductible, you must have made the contribution directly to the HSA with after-tax dollars.  

When contributions are made to your HSA through payroll deductions (reported on your W-2 in box 12 with code W), they are done with pre-tax dollars and therefore do not show on your tax return as a deductible contribution.  Instead, your taxable income in box 1 of your W-2 is lower than it would have been without the HSA contribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hcreel83

That clears it up, thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies