Solved: I am on my parent's health insurance, but live in another state. I didn't get an 1099-HC form in the mail--should I have? How do I fill out this portion of the state tax?

I am on my parent's health insurance, but live in another state. I didn't get an 1099-HC form in the mail--should I have? How do I fill out this portion of the state tax?

RELEVANT ONLY TO MASSACHUSETTS RESIDENTS.

OK so you are a MA resident filing a MA Form 1 but your insurance is through your parents' insurance coverage based out-of-state [that it is in PA is irrelevant].

All you need to complete the MA HealthCare certification are three pieces of data:

1. The name of the insurance company - from your insurance card
  2. The Tax ID (EIN)of your parents' insurance company - you should be able to call the company and obtain this
  3. Your subscriber number from your card
  4. and check off - did not receive 1099-HC

Scruffy Curmudgeon
PFFM, IAFF, Locals 718 & 30, retired firefighter/medic; university faculty - Strategy & Quantitative Methods Med-M&M, Law discriminatory statistics, Med & PH - epidemiology statistics;
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3
-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------No Not an Intuit Employee - Just donating my time

Following on - Form 1099-HC is a Massachusetts form - are your parents elderly and have insurance coverage through either a Medicare plan or MassHealth?

Scruffy Curmudgeon
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

You have not replied. ok - you did  -so now understand you are MA resident with out of state coverage

Scruffy Curmudgeon
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

This question is for Massachusetts residents only.

Scruffy Curmudgeon
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

Scruffy Curmudgeon
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

Thank you! This is very helpful. I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question!

Let me just add that insurance companies may not always give you the FID (or EIN) - but MA does not require that you enter it.

No, your parents have the form.  They received it from their insurance carrier with the list of all of those covered. 

Call Mom  & Dad!

Are your parents in MA, and did they receive a 1099-HC? If so, use the information from their 1099-HC.

If you don't have a 1099-HC, it's your responsibility to determine whether your insurance meets MCC requirements. See here for more info (FAQs 6 and 7):

Complete the Health Insurance interview as follows:

Enter the insurance company name and the subscriber number, but leave the FID blank. When asked if you received a 1099-HC, answer "No". You should be able to complete the rest of the TurboTax interview.

I live in MA, but my health insurance (vis-à-vis my parents) is from PA. Is there a way to "inform" Turbo Tax that my insurance is private insurance, but from outside MA?

This is incorrect--only Massachusetts health insurance providers send out 1099-HCs. 

Please review this following Turbo Tax link, to properly answer the questions about your health coverage through your parent's insurer.  in the link, it outlines the following steps.

My daughter residing in Massachusetts is covered under my Empire Blue Cross (New York). I saw this advice: You need "The Tax ID (EIN) of your parents' insurance company - you should be able to call the company and obtain this". So I called the insurance company and the representative did not know what I was talking about. They said there is no insurance provider federal ID that a customer would need. I then called my employer's HR. They didn't know what I was talking about either.

Turns out, on Turbotax for 2019, you don't need to enter any information except to check a box saying you've had health insurance coverage all year. So... why the advice to get "The Tax ID (EIN) of your parents' insurance company"?

Only the 1095-A needs to be entered on your return from insurance purchased through the marketplace. If you received a different 1095 form, such as one from employer benefits, you do not need to enter anything on your return. It is for your records only.

However, if you purchased insurance through the marketplace and received a 1095-A, that must still be reported on your return.This will calculate the Net Premium Tax Credit on Form 8962. This form reconciles the amount of the credit available to you with the amount already received as an Advance Premium Tax Credit. The result could be additional credit owed to you, or you may have to repay any amount already received in advance. Because of either of these results, it is important for taxpayers to include the information from Form 1095-A on their return.

Follow these steps:

• Click on Deductions & Credits under Federal
  • Under the menu for Medical, click Start/Revisit next to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)
  • Answer Yes indicating that you have the form to enter
  • Complete the information on the next screen to match your form and click continue