I am obtaining a certificate from Career Step (then have to take exam to be a certified medical biller/coder). Can I claim cost of program?

Probably not. Education that prepares you for a new trade or business, or to meet the minimal educational requirements for your current trade or business, is not deductible for tax purposes.

If you are already working in the medical billing field, and this certification is intended to maintain or improve your skills in your current occupation, then the costs of this certification would be a deductible expense. If you are an employee, the expense would be an Employee Business Expense, deductible on Form 2106. If you are self-employed, the expense can be taken on Schedule C.

For more information, please see IRS Tax Topics 513 Work-Related Education Expenses.