Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kriscsyn

I am not self employed and received a 1099 misc box 6

Box 6 is filled out on 1099-Misc but I am not self employed but a student. How do I file this information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
PatriciaR

You will need to enter the 1099-MISC under Other Common Income.  Follow these steps:

Sign into your TurboTax account and click "Take me to my return"

Select Federal Taxes (top of program)

Select the Wages & Income sub-tab

Select "Add More Income" button if shown, then "See list of all income", if shown (you want to see a list of all income options)

Scroll down until you come to Other Common Income

NOTE: Do not select to enter the 1099-MISC under Self-Employment (keep scrolling until you come to Other Common Income to enter your 1099-MISC)

Under Other Common Income, select 1099-MISC

When at the 1099-MISC screen, click My form has other info in boxes 1-18. This will open additional boxes for entry including Box 6 Medical Payments

FOR A SHORTCUT : In the Search box (upper right of program), search "1099 misc" and select the "Jump to" link.  This will take you to the correct page to enter your 1099-MISC under Other Common Income.

Click on screenshots below for detail

jwei

I received a refund from an insurance company, and cancelled my accounts. They sent me a 1099-misc with an amount in box 6. Why is this taxable and considered self employed income?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

How you report the box 6 payment on your tax return depends on your particular facts and circumstances.  For example, if the payment was solely a refund of premiums paid (as opposed to a mix of premium refund and insurance reimbursements) and is used to reduce the amount you report for deductible insurance premiums (if any), it may not require separate entry in TurboTax.

If the box 6 amount is for insurance reimbursements, these reimbursements would be reported as income.

As background, box 6 of Form 1099-MISC is typically used by institutions to report payments to medical facilities. This will include payments made by medical and health care insurers under health, accident, and sickness insurance programs.  Payments to persons providing health care services often include charges for injections, drugs, dentures, and similar items.  In these cases the entire payment is subject to information reporting. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Linnypoo
Returning Member

I need an answer for 1099 misc box 6

My employer covered our health insurance premiums, then only covered 1/2, we paid the other, then he didn't cover insurance at all, then he gave each a health insurance allowance and filled a 2021 1099 misc box 6. I am not a business I am an employee with my benefits cut, now taxed and now I am a business?? I don't believe this is correct. How do I enter the non-employee income? The prior answer was from 2019, I am working on 2021 and can't seem to navigate in the same manor.

Thank you for an answer - Linnypoo

Linnypoo
Returning Member

I know that my 2021 1099- misc box 6 is income, but it goes into business tax and deductions. How to just enter that as income - to be taxed not as a business?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You can enter the 1099-MISC in TurboTax as "Other Common Income," which is reported on line 8 of 1040 Schedule 1 and will not generate

Schedule C or SE tax.  Please use the following steps:

1. Click on Income & Expenses
  2. Scroll down to the Other Common Income section. 
  3. Click on the Start/Revisit box next Form 1099-MISC. 
  4. On the screen Did you get a 1099-MISC?  click on the Yes button.
  5. On the next screen, Let's get the info from your 1099-MISC, enter the information from the 1099-MISC.
  6. Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC 
  7. On the following screens, answer the following questions:
    • Did it involve work that's like your main job? No.
    • You got it in 2021
    • No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money

7.  Continue through the rest of the interview screens. The income will appear as Other Income.

Linnypoo
Returning Member

no description of reason - it jumps to self employed business

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You might want to ask your employer for a new form.   That income should be on your W-2, not in box 6 of a 1099-MISC.   Form 1099-MISC, Box 6 - These are payments you received for providing medical and health care services costing at least $600 to other businesses.   For individuals, report on Schedule C (Form 1040).    @Linnypoo

The instructions Patti left above will work to put the income in Other Income instead of Self-Employment Income, but only if you put the amount in Box 3 instead of Box 6.   Any entry in Box 6 will require the creation of a Schedule C - because as the instructions say, box 6 is self-employment income.   Your employer should not have issued you a Form 1099-MISC with an amount in Box 6 if you are not a medical provider or insurer.   

Instructions for Box 6 for the payer (your employer that issued it to you) - '''Enter payments of $600 or more made in the course of your trade or business to each physician or other supplier or provider of medical or health care services.  Include payments made by medical and health care insurers under health, accident, and sickness insurance programs. If payment is made to a corporation, list the corporation as the recipient rather than the individual providing the services. Payments to persons providing health care services often include charges for injections, drugs, dentures, and similar items. In these cases, the entire payment is subject to information reporting. You are not required to report payments to pharmacies for prescription drugs.'''

Linnypoo
Returning Member

This isn't working with my Turbo tax deluxe. Also the exact terms you have stated do not exist. I think I am in 2021 and the answer resource is from another planet.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

In Deluxe, follow these steps:

1. go to the federal income section
  2. scroll to the bottom
  3. Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C, Start
  4. Scroll to the bottom
  5. Other reportable income, Start
  6. Other taxable income?
  7. Select YES
  8. Description 1099-MISC box 6
  9. Amount, enter your amount
  10. continue

@Linnypoo  This lets you report the income without the SE tax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies