Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ltsnapp

I am not able to efile my returns. What all do I need to include in the envelope when I mail my tax returns to the state and also to the IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MollsBBU

I am not able to efile my returns. What all do I need to include in the envelope when I mail my tax returns to the state and also to the IRS?

Mailing your Federal return

When mailing a paper federal return you will need to include the federal copy of any W-2s. Also include the federal copy of any forms that have federal tax withheld. Attach them to the back of the Form 1040. 

Be sure to sign the return before mailing it.

To mail, please see: Where to File Paper Tax Returns With or Without a Payment

Mailing your State return

When mailing a paper state return, include a copy of the Federal 1040, second copies W-2(s) and any forms that have federal tax withheld. Attach these to the back of your state form. 

Note:

• Staple your federal and state forms neatly in the top left corner before sending.
  • If you forget to attach any applicable forms to your mailed in return:
    You should wait until the IRS (or your state Department of Revenue) contacts you for additional information. They will send you a letter requesting the documents. You should attach the documents to a copy of that letter and mail the information back.

Mailing Tips per the United States Postal Service
  • Use enough postage. 
    Double-check your envelope. Does it weigh more than 1 oz? Tax returns without enough postage will be returned.
  • Label with correct, clear addresses.
    Print labels on your computer or neatly write both the destination and return addresses.
  • Make sure your return is postmarked on time.
    Mail your return in a Collection Box® or at a Postal location that has a pickup time before the deadline.
  • Obtain proof of mailing
    They offer Return ReceiptsCertified Mail® Service, and Certificate of Mailing Service.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies