turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am having trouble accessing form 8379. It keeps popping up 8857 instead

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

When you use the search instructions below, you must continue past the "innocent spouse" questions (Form 8857) to reach the injured spouse (Form 8379).  Other information is provided to help you complete the form accurately.

While you are signed into your TurboTax account you can find the injured spouse using the steps here.

• Use the search box in the upper right > Search for injured spouse Jump to injured spouse 
    • (continue past the innocent spouse questions)
    • The information below will assist in making sure you have it all ready to go with the return.

Reminders and Tips:  

1. Select the correct person as the injured spouse (the one without any d
  2. If the injured spouse is the only one with income all of the refund will be released after IRS review of the Form 8379.  
  3. If you are not in a community property state, and both of you have income, you can divide exemptions up any way you see fit. It is possible the IRS may make some adjustments based on the income levels for each of you.  Let them do that when they receive it. 
  4.  If you do live in a community property state, community income would be split equally between the two spouses.  With respect to deductions, the deductions would be split depending on whether the expenses related to community income or separate income.
    1. There are nine community property states: Arizona, California, IdahoLouisianaNevadaNew MexicoTexasWashington and WisconsinAlaska is an opt-in community property state that gives both parties the option to make their property community property.
  5. The standard deduction must be split between you so you can't change that part.  For itemized deductions you can put those under the injured spouse.   
  6. Please note, this will cause your return to take longer to process.  Per the IRS, 11 weeks for an e-filed return and 14 weeks for a mailed return. (estimated)
  7. Review the screenshot attached for the initial important answers.
  8. Click the link here to find the mailing address for your area.  Where to File Paper Returns With or Without a Payment

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

When you use the search instructions below, you must continue past the "innocent spouse" questions (Form 8857) to reach the injured spouse (Form 8379).  Other information is provided to help you complete the form accurately.

While you are signed into your TurboTax account you can find the injured spouse using the steps here.

• Use the search box in the upper right > Search for injured spouse Jump to injured spouse 
    • (continue past the innocent spouse questions)
    • The information below will assist in making sure you have it all ready to go with the return.

Reminders and Tips:  

1. Select the correct person as the injured spouse (the one without any d
  2. If the injured spouse is the only one with income all of the refund will be released after IRS review of the Form 8379.  
  3. If you are not in a community property state, and both of you have income, you can divide exemptions up any way you see fit. It is possible the IRS may make some adjustments based on the income levels for each of you.  Let them do that when they receive it. 
  4.  If you do live in a community property state, community income would be split equally between the two spouses.  With respect to deductions, the deductions would be split depending on whether the expenses related to community income or separate income.
    1. There are nine community property states: Arizona, California, IdahoLouisianaNevadaNew MexicoTexasWashington and WisconsinAlaska is an opt-in community property state that gives both parties the option to make their property community property.
  5. The standard deduction must be split between you so you can't change that part.  For itemized deductions you can put those under the injured spouse.   
  6. Please note, this will cause your return to take longer to process.  Per the IRS, 11 weeks for an e-filed return and 14 weeks for a mailed return. (estimated)
  7. Review the screenshot attached for the initial important answers.
  8. Click the link here to find the mailing address for your area.  Where to File Paper Returns With or Without a Payment

Thanks!  I totally missed that!
DianeW
Expert Alumni

You're welcome! It's a privilege to assist.
gabe1642

I’m on the mobile app and trying to use form 8379. I skipped past questions for innocent spouse(8857) but when reviewing my return it asks me to complete questions from 8857. What can I do?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Both of these forms are entered in the same section of TurboTax.  It is easy to answer a question about Form 8857 by mistake early in the process if you don't check the information on the screen very carefully (especially even on the very first screen asking for a year).

Go back through that section of your return and be sure that you only answered questions pertaining to Form 8379, Injured Spouse.

Use these steps to get started:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “injured spouse” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to injured spouse
  • Click on the blue “Jump to injured spouse” link and enter your information

If you cannot find a place where something was entered by mistake for Form 8857, then use the following instructions to delete Form 8857 since it is not needed:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to Form 8857 in the list and follow the instructions.

@gabe1642

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies