Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am getting error 5639 (Could not configure product update). The solution for error 5640 is not fixing the issue. I have WINDOWS 10, 64bit,

TurboTax 2020 Primier
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am getting error 5639 (Could not configure product update). The solution for error 5640 is not fixing the issue. I have WINDOWS 10, 64bit,

Thanks to TT Customer Support. The issue was resolved. Here is the quick fix for error 5639 & 5640

1 - Stop the IntuitUpdateServiceV4 from task manager

2 - Right click on the TurboTax 2020 icon-

3 - Click on properties -->select Compatibility tab -->check the box  beside "Run this program as an administrator" --> ok

4 - Start the TurboTax 2020 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I am going to suggest these steps below. I think you might be having an issue other users have experienced when using Windows 10. 

1. Type "environment" in the windows search bar.  
  2. This will bring up "Edit the System Environment Variables" as a match.   
  3. Clicking on it takes you to the "Advanced" tab of a dialog box titled "System Properties."   
  4. Near the bottom of the dialog box, click on the pushbutton labeled "Environment Variables...".   
  5. This brings up a separate dialog box that shows the current values for user environment variables at the top and system variables at the bottom. In the list of user environment variables, you should see both TEMP and TMP, and their current values.   
  6. Click on each, then click on the "Edit..." pushbutton.   
  7. This brings up another dialog box in which you can change the "Variable value" to "C:\Temp" (be sure to change the variable value, not the variable name).   
  8. This folder must, of course, exist for this step to work properly.   
  9. OK out of all the dialog boxes and retry the install.   
  10. Environment variable changes take effect immediately, so if this is the only change you make, it's not necessary to reboot.   

Or it could be that a portion of 2023 TurboTax needs the x86 version of the Visual C++ Redistributable package and the installer fails to install it.  You can obtain it from Microsoft:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unfortunately, the solution provided did not help me to get out of this error. I still getting the same error message.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks to TT Customer Support. The issue was resolved. Here is the quick fix for error 5639 & 5640

1 - Stop the IntuitUpdateServiceV4 from task manager

2 - Right click on the TurboTax 2020 icon-

3 - Click on properties -->select Compatibility tab -->check the box  beside "Run this program as an administrator" --> ok

4 - Start the TurboTax 2020 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies