turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am filing taxes as head of the household and filing taxes by mail. Do I need to add my spouse signature to my tax return

I am filing taxes as head of the household and sending return by mail. Do I need to add my spouse signature to my tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

I am filing taxes as head of the household and filing taxes by mail. Do I need to add my spouse signature to my tax return

If you are filing head of household, you do not need a spouses signature. The only time a spouse signs a tax return is when there is a Married Filing Joint income tax return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Phillip1

If you are filing head of household, you do not need a spouses signature. The only time a spouse signs a tax return is when there is a Married Filing Joint income tax return.

No, your spouse does not sign an HOH tax return.

But,

You can only file as HOH if you have lived separately for at least all of the last 6 months of 2016.  HOH is designed mainly for single parents and for marital separations, although it can sometimes be used when one spouse is incarcerated or out of the country on military service.

So I am a bit concerned that if your spouse is available and willing to sign the HOH return, you may not meet the requirement that you be living apart.  Make sure you really are allowed to file HOH.

The rules and definitions are here https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-publication-501

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies