Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cdedelman

I am filing as resident alien. I have a 1042-S form (partial year) with income code 16 including both income and also federal withholdings. How do I enter this info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

I am filing as resident alien. I have a 1042-S form (partial year) with income code 16 including both income and also federal withholdings. How do I enter this info?

TurboTax does not include Form 1042-S.  However, Form 1042-S does not need to filed with your income tax return. Fill out Form 1042-S and then mail it to the address specified in the form instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cdedelman

This does not answer my question in any way.  The 1042-S comes pre-completed by the employer so there is nothing for me to fill out and mail in.  Moreover, it seems fairly clear from the instructions that it DOES need to be filed with the tax return.  So I would recommend to other viewers not to follow this advice and to TurboTax to remove it.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you are a US resident, by receiving a Form 1042- S with the code 16, you will treat it as receiving a scholarship or fellowship to offset your qualified education expenses if there are any. 

Per IRS, you are required to file a Form 1040 to report your scholarship amount along with your tuition.  If you have paid any qualified tuition expenses out of pocket or with scholarship, you would enter information by following the steps below. 

As IRS receives a copy of your Form 1042-S, you can e-file your tax return.  You do not need to submit your Form 1042-S separately.

In TurboTax online edition, 

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1098t" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1098t
  • On the screen, Now Let's gather XYZ's Additional Education Expenses
  • Follow prompts
  • Next screen, Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit
  • Next screen Here's Your Education Summary, under Tuition, select Edit to enter tuition information
  • See the images below.

If you have paid in any tax withholdings, to enter the info, follow these steps:

1.  Sign back into the program and select Pick up where you left off 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in estimates paid and Enter

3.  Select Jump to estimates paid

4. On the screen, Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid, select the right section to enter information  

View solution in original post

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies